Wednesday 25 January 2012

Township "Braai"

On January 19th I went to my very first "Braai" which is basically a neighborhood barbecue party. The agency that helped me find my internship is called VAC, and they set up activities for us the whole time we're here. Andrew (a VAC staff member) was nice enough to invite all the VAC interns (about 25 of us) and staff to his house in the township of Nyanga. All the interns took a taxi-bus out to the township. When we got there, there was meat cooking on the barbecue, live music, and dancing in the street. It was a wonderful time. There were so many little kids hanging out- all local kids from the township- who were FASCINATED with taking pictures on our cameras. I think I have about 100 pictures that they took; and 50 of them are blurry! But the kids were adorable and loved to dance as well. The live music playing was traditional South African music, but they also played some songs we knew too. The instruments they used were very cool- kind of like large table-sized wooden xylophones. After the live music was done and we all ate a DELICIOUS dinner, Andrew (the host of the Braai) put out loud speakers and played music that we could all dance to in the street. After a few songs Adele came on the speaker with the "someone like you" song. I love this song, and surprisingly everyone knew the words. I mean, EVERYONE (young, old, South African and foreign) sang along at the top of their lungs. It is certainly a moment I will remember forever. The Braai was a great way to get introduced to some South African culture... I can't wait to tell you about more!

Mucho amor,
Keira xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment