Thursday 26 January 2012

"Surfing" at Muizenberg Beach

On Saturday I went to a place called the "Old Biscuit Mill" market which was really fun. It's a market but not a traditional "African" market like I'm sure you're picturing (as I did). It's a very western sort of place, I would expect to see something like it downtown toronto- it was even nicer than the Byward Market in Ottawa! It was closed off but it had a bunch of food at different stalls which they would prepare for you on the spot. There was a Chicken station, a Greek Souvlaki station, a Chinese station, an ice cream station, a smoothie station, a cheese station, a wine station, etc etc. I had a smoothies and greek souvlaki.. soo yummy. And all the people there were so well dressed, I felt as though it was fashion week and I wasn't given the memo! Regardless, I am definitely going back next Saturday. But they also had lots of clothes stands and little boutiques for home accessories stores. IT wasn't very "African" but it was all really cool. Loved it.




Then on Sunday my housemate Chelsey and I and about 4 other VAC interns went to Muizenberg beach to surf. Muizenberg beach is about a 30 minute train ride away- not bad at all. We arrived, and the view was BEAUTIFUL. There is a white sand beach with deep turquoise waters and a beautiful Mountain view in the background. The pictures I have don't even do it justice. Muizenberg beach is the "surfing" beach. We showed up and the water was PACKED with people surfing, from beginners like me, to pros who were surfing in and out of all the beginners. I rented a wet-suit and a beginner board with all the other interns and we received a lesson from our friend Sam who has been surfing plenty of times of before. Then we hit the water, and I instantly knew... surfing is notttt for me! I lasted MAYBE 20 minutes where I tried to jump over waves with my board but could only manage to swallow some sea water (disgusting) and not much else. After this, where I only got onto the board ONE time... not even standing up... I got wacked in the head by another girls board as a humungous wave came crasshhinnggg down on us. I called it quits and decided that sunbathing was a much better "sport" for me! Little did I know that I suck at that sport too... turns out the South African Sun burns through my epidermis like CRAZY (even with sunscreen!). So I have had a NASTY burn on my back ALL week. I guess you live some and you learn some! My back is now peeling and is a VERY nice deeep brown tanned colour. hopefully I get the rest of me tanned... without burning to a crisp!





Love and miss you all REAMS (the South African term for "lots"!)
-xoxo, Keira

1 comment:

  1. So glad your having a blast! Keep blogging I love the updates <3 Chels!

    ReplyDelete